White-Plumb Farm Learning Center
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, White-Plumb Farm Learning Center is a Colorado Centennial Farm— run by the same family for over 100 years before it was donated to the City of Greeley Museums! The property was settled in 1881 by Civil War Veteran Charles White as a turn of the century tree claim. The agriculture fields utilize a flood irrigation system.
Historic Property Information
Congress enacted the Timber Culture Act of 1873, a follow up to the Homestead Act. Through the Timber Culture Act, homesteaders could qualify for an additional 160 acres of land if they planted at least 1/4th of the property with trees. By the time Charles A. White established his tree claim in 1881, only ten acres of trees were required to be planted. White planted ash and cottonwood trees bordering each side of his property.
The home originally cost $2,500 and was designed by Bessie Smith, Greeley’s first female architect.
The family raised farm animals and grew alfalfa, sugar beets, seed potatoes and beans, and other vegetables on the farm.
In 1983, the descendants of Charles White donated 2.5 acres of the original tree claim to the City of Greeley for historical, cultural and museum use. Today, the property is being used as a public park and for rentals.