About the City of Greeley Museums

The City of Greeley’s Museums trace their origins back to the 1870s.

On December 7, 1870 Nathan C. Meeker, Greeley’s founder, suggested to the townspeople the following:

Now, while we are daily exploring the prairies, mountains and streams and even bringing up the buried treasures of the ages from the ground beneath us, we hope that our people will bear in mind the fact that we are organizing a museum for the benefit of the whole colony and whenever anything appropriate may be found, let it be placed among our common treasures and we will soon have a collection that will be both instructive and entertaining.

Bring specimens of fossils, petrification, minerals and even birds and small animals, which will be properly prepared. Many of our people have rare articles which they have expressed a wish to donate so that it could be cared for. A room has now been appropriated for this purpose in connection with the Reading Room by the trustees and it will be placed in the hands of competent persons for the classification of all donations.

Nathan C. Meeker

Today, the purpose of the City of Greeley Museums remains essentially the same: to collect, preserve, interpret and share the history of northeastern Colorado.

The Meeker Home, built in 1870, is a unique adobe two-story austere home, originally built to house the City of Greeley’s founding family. Nathan Cook Meeker, his wife Arvilla Delight and their three daughters: Mary, Rozene and Josephine, lived there.

In 1929, Greeley residents organized and purchased the Meeker home to be Greeley’s first official museum.  Within a few decades the Meeker Home Museum was too small to house the artifacts, photographs and documents that were collected. The Greeley Municipal Museum was created in 1968 in what was to become the Lincoln Park Library in downtown Greeley.

Just over one hundred years after the Meeker home was built, citizens of Weld County began work to acquire local historic structures to create an open air museum. Its original focus was to tell the tales of the determination and bravery displayed by this region’s early pioneers. Structures were collected and exhibits of collections installed in them to tell our unique heritage. Celebrating Colorado’s centennial and the nation’s bicentennial, the collection was named Centennial Village, and located next to Island Grove Park Regional Park. Centennial Village held its grand opening July 4, 1976.

By the end of the 1990s, Greeley’s collections of historic artifacts, images and documents had grown so excessive that proper storage and history was impossible to appropriately manage.  A number of options were debated; funding requests were made and the 2-A Bond project was accepted by Greeley voters in 2002, permitting the acquisition of a downtown facility for exhibits and artifact collections care. The result was the Greeley History Museum, installed in the 1929 Greeley Tribune Building at 714 8th St., and opened to the public in July 2005.

Greeley History Museum has multiple exhibit galleries, the Hazel E. Johnson Research Center, numerous public spaces, staff offices and essential storage areas for 2-D and 3-D artifact collections.

At the City of Greeley Museums, we continue to collect, preserve, interpret and share the history of Northeastern Colorado. We welcome the public to be a part of our museums. Consider donating or volunteering today!

Not everyone in Weld County is directly involved with cattle, but everyone ought to know that the cattle industry has been BIG here since the earliest years of our history and has touched every aspect of life in our communities. Cattle ranching, breeding, feeding, buying and selling, shipping – could probably be called our “origin story”, the story of men who shaped our economy and way of life. What about the women, you ask? They have worked alongside the men every step of the way!

On February 17, 1955, women joined forces to form the Weld County Cow Belles. Their original bylaws called for them merely to “help the men’s organization” – the Weld County Livestock Association. By 1984, there were 80+ members independently engaged in educational and promotional activities for the beef industry. The Cow Belles also provided college scholarships, ran informational booths at the National Western Stock Show and the Weld County Farm Show, and through monthly meetings provided social support and education for its members.

In 1988, after 40 years of being known as the Colorado Cow Belles, the State chapter voted to change its name to Colorado Cattle Women, Inc. It was left to local chapters to follow suit or not. Can you imagine the discussion and debate? Some preferred the old name, some were tired of “cow belly” and “ding dong” jokes, some appreciated the more professional image of Cattle Women over Cow Belles. We don’t have a written record of the decision, but since the late 80s, the Cow Belles have been named the Weld County Cattle Women, working together to educate, promote, and protect the cattle industry.
... See MoreSee Less

View on Facebook
Share This