Blog

Military WAVES in Greeley

In July of 1942, women officially made a splash into the U.S. Navy when President Roosevelt signed into law a newly formed division, the U.S. Naval Reserve (Women’s Reserve), unofficially called WAVES or Women Accepted for Volunteer Emergency Service.

read more

100-Year-Old Unsolved Robbery

On December 26, 1918, the Greeley Post Office was robbed almost without a trace. The robbers made off with about $69,300 and the post office became the scene of the third largest theft of a United States post office at the time.

read more

Drilling for Health – Greeley’s First Artesian Well

Drilling for Health – Greeley’s First Artesian Well The acquisition of safe drinking water for early Greeley was no simple task. Discussions began in early 1883 when G. Law wrote to the Greeley Tribune suggesting that a well providing potable water could be...

read more

Filmmaking and Cowpunching

As the nineteenth-century came to a close, a rush of nostalgia for the “Western Frontier” captivated America. Cowboy filmmaker Charles Camp is one example of this. The films he produced, the “first and only ones ever made of a real Wyoming round-up,” represent some of...

read more

Angels in Black: Victorian Women in Mourning

The death of loved ones has always been a difficult subject throughout history. During the Victorian period, however, it took on new significance. After Prince Albert died in England in 1861, Queen Victoria, his devastated wife, lived the rest of her life publicly...

read more

The Beginnings of Bicycles in Greeley

During the 1870s the “high wheeled bicycle” was invented. It was also known as the “penny farthing” or the “ordinary”. While it had two-wheeled predecessors, the high wheel was the first all metal contraption to be dubbed a bicycle. Bicycles in the 1870s were rare in...

read more

50+ Years Ago, Greeley’s Teens Cruised a Bustling Downtown

What did teenagers do for fun in Greeley, CO, in 1959? Greeley’s downtown featured every type of retail business within a five-block radius of Lincoln Park, including three bakeries, five beauty shops, six men’s clothing stores, seven drug stores, eight grocery...

read more

The F.J. Accordion Band, pictured here in 1938, was an outlet for local children to learn how to play the accordion and have a place to play it with others. Interestingly, this band was not associated with any school but rather with a local music store. The F.J. Music House sponsored the band, as well as sold music and instruments. It is not clear how long the band was associated with the music store, but the F.J. Hill Music House stayed in business in Greeley from 1936-1956 and was located at 924 ½ 9th Avenue. ... See MoreSee Less

View on Facebook

Share This