When Harry Hibbs first stepped off a train at the Greeley Depot he arrived with little money, but a dream to own the finest and largest men’s apparel store in Northern Colorado.
On opening day in 1911, Hibbs’ store did $1.65 in total sales. Profits grew as Hibbs kept up with men’s rapidly changing fashions. When the store opened, men’s evening attire typically dictated a three-piece suit with accompanying hat, gloves, and bow tie. By the 1950s, suits became lighter due to the invention of synthetic fabrics. Neck ties also became more common, with different styles of knots fluctuating in popularity over the years.
Hibbs moved locations several times to keep up with growth. When he took over the former location of the Greeley Dry Goods store at 814 Ninth St., Hibbs appeared to have realized his dream and declared that the move gave “Greeley the largest and most modern men’s wear store in the area.”
Originally published in the Greeley Tribune
Written by Nicole Famiglietti, former Curator of Exhibits, City of Greeley Museums